Under the theme of 5.5G enabling superior network experience and driving sustainable development, an impressive lineup of speakers shared their expertise and insights during the second day of Huawei’s Global Mobile Broadband Forum (MBBF) 2023.
Among the distinguished speakers was Cao Ming, President of Wireless Solution, Huawei. Expounding on the leading vendor’s latest 5.5G innovations, he shed light on 5G’s accelerated industry.
Latest statistics show that globally there are over 260 5G networks, more than 4 million 5G sites and 1.5 billion 5G users. With scaled applications, 5G is powering the digital economy.
Mr. Cao explained that 5G contributed over $400 billion in the economy, a 50% increase when compared to 2022. There are also more than 65,000 industry applications of 5G at present, which is 3 times higher than last year’s record. In a similar growth rate, private networks deployed reached beyond 17,000.
In sample use cases, 5G changes different industries, including healthcare, mining, manufacturing and logistics. In healthcare, telemedicine reaches 90% of Thai villages. In mining, 60% of underground operations are now done remotely aboveground. In factories, quality inspection has become 50% more efficient. In ports, loading and unloading are transformed into 75% efficiency.
Moreover, Mr. Cao mentioned that "5.5G is well timed to support new experiences, connections and services," highlighting that "Huawei's full-series 5.5G solutions will help operators deliver full-scenario tenfold capabilities and enable ultra-high energy efficiency, spectrum utilization and O&M efficiency."
The 5G Revolution: Connecting a World of New Experiences and Services
- Connecting People: 5.5G backs fully-interactive, holographic and fully sensed experiences from HD videos, glasses-free 3D and immersive XR.
- Connecting Homes: From 100 Mbps network requirement for large screen entertainment, there’s a need for 5.5G to bring 1 Gbps at 20 ms and even 5-10 Gbps, for HD livestreaming, cloud gaming, 8K large-screen 3D, work from home and 4K/8K VR fitness.
- Connecting Things: 5G IoT technology continues innovating to enhance capabilities and reduce costs, paving the way towards fully-connected 100 billion-level connections.
- Connecting Industries: 5.5G will expand into core processes for flexible manufacturing. 5G flexible car production results in 80% less downtime and over $100 million worth of extra orders delivery.
- Connecting Vehicles: Vehicle-road synergy on commercial 5G networks can lead to 60% fewer accidents, 20% less congestion and 20% higher speed.
5.5G is Well-Timed: Huawei Full-Scenario Full-Series 5.5G Solutions
Mr. Cao emphasized that 5.5G network consists the capabilities of 10 Gbps downlink, 1 Gbps uplink, 100 billion connections and native intelligence. With “applications, networks and industry chains are ready” and Release 18, the first 5.5G standard, will be frozen next year, “the time to act is now.”
Presenting the newest lineup of Huawei full-scenario full-series 5.5G solutions, Mr. Cao showed how these broadband, multi-band, multi-antenna, green and intelligent solutions achieve two main objectives: optimal network efficiency and 10x capabilities improvement.
Deliver Tenfold Capabilities
- TDD ELAA with more bands and channels for 10 Gbps experience. The industry's first TDD 128T MetaAAU integrates 500+ antenna elements and employs multi-dimensional high-resolution beam algorithms, resulting in a 50% improvement in user experience. Furthermore, the industry’s first dual-band 64T MetaAAU can operate with dual-band converged elements to enable the co-coverage between high and low bands.
- FDD full-series beamforming to upgrade basic experiences. The inaugural FDD triple-band Massive MIMO and triple-band 8T8R modules support gigahertz-level bandwidth, accommodating 1.8+2.1+2.6 GHz bands in a single unit. They seamlessly integrate with high-precision beamforming, resulting in significant enhancements in FDD spectral and energy efficiency.
- mmWave AAU for continuous 10 Gbps coverage. Featuring the largest scale antenna array (over 2,000 elements), the inaugural mmWave AAU addresses mmWave co-site co-coverage limitations with C-band. By coordinating between high and low bands, mmWave networks achieve peak throughput of 10 Gbps, averaging 5 Gbps. This AAU also facilitates intelligent beam management, overcoming mmWave limitations in high-speed mobility and NLOS transmission.
- DIS full-scenario leap boost experience and energy saving. The LampSite X series integrates five bands and mmWave in a single unit to provide full bandwidth for all radio access technologies. It features super deep dormancy, reducing off-peak power consumption to just 1 Watt. For flexible deployment for underground parking and other similar areas, the unique multi-band medium-power LightSite module guarantees a 35% improved user experience and lower total cost of ownership (TCO) compared to standard DAS solutions.
- Full-series green antennas are new benchmark for energy efficiency. Green antennas use direct injection feeding (SDIF) and Meta Lens for 25% improved energy efficiency.
- MAGICSwave platform bring efficient backhaul. MAGICSwave enhances backhaul efficiency through ultra-wideband multi-channel transmission, offering higher capacity in urban areas and longer reach in suburban regions. It features a high level of integration, supporting networks to sustain evolve over the coming 10 years.
Ensures Optimal Network Efficiencies
Mr. Cao has pointed out that optimal network efficiency can be managed through spectrum pooling, energy on demand and O&M L4 automation.
- iHashBand2.0 spectrum pooling maximizes multi-band usage. The Multi-band serving cell (MB-SC) allows the flexible combination of discontinuous spectrum for virtual large bandwidth, enabling speeds of 10 Gbps with a 40% boost in spectral efficiency. Moreover, flexible spectrum access (FSA) also offers full uplink band access, achieving Gbps uplink speeds.
- Full-scenario "0 Bit 0 Watt" for green and efficient 5.5G. The full-series equipment supports "0 Bit 0 Watt", pioneering super deep dormancy with a 99% shutdown depth, quick on-demand wakeup and millisecond-level shutdown at both carrier and channel levels. With an intelligent site coordination, energy efficiency at the site level increases by 5-10%. Additionally, iPowerStar enables the implementation of site-specific energy-saving policies, tailored to varying traffic patterns throughout the day.
- IntelligentRAN evolving to L4 automation. 5.5G will advance high-level autonomy, as IntelligentRAN supports L4 intent-based intelligence. This means shifting networks from being reactive O&M to proactive prediction and prevention; from being KPI-policies driven to SLA-intent driven; and from single-objective to multi-objective optimization.
"The future has come. Huawei will continue to develop innovative products and solutions in collaboration with all industry partners to bring 5.5G into reality," ended Mr. Cao.
Global Launch of 5.5G Network Pioneers
Bringing 5.5G to reality, GSA President Joe Barrett called on stage 13 different network operators who have been working tirelessly in bringing the 5G-Advanced network capabilities into the society. These include stc group, du UAE, Omantel, Zain KSA, Zain Kuwait, Ooredoo Kuwait from Middle East, and China Mobile, China Telecom, China Unicom, CMHK, CTM, HKT, Hutchison Telecom from Asia Pacific.
Notable speakers have also discussed indoor digitalization; 5G industry’s new business potential and industry connection opportunities; creating a digitally sustainable Middle East through cross-industry 5G integration; 5G-Advanced development for business success; 5G+ glasses-free 3D enable ubiquitous immersive display experience; and RedCap ushering in a new era of cellular IoT and unleashing 5.5G’s network potential, among other interesting topics.